Monday, July 26, 2010

Spring Fats vs. Fall Fats

I read an article recently that has me thinking. The article contends that our bodies evolved in a natural cycle with the seasons. Omega 3 fatty acids are prevalent in green, leafy vegetables. Omega 6 fatty acids are prevalent in seeds and grains. In spring, greens are prevalent and make up the bulk of a hunter-gatherer’s diet. In fall, seeds dominate the diet. As a survival mechanism, the Omega 6 fatty acids trigger our metabolisms to prepare for lean months ahead and they make us fat, causing heart disease and other such problems in the process. But when spring comes around, the Omega 3 fatty acids trigger our metabolism to revert to a more active state, repairing the damage done over the winter. We in modern society have a problem. We live off of an industrialized food system , which means that our diet is grain based all year long. Worse, those leafy greens that we should be eating lots of are largely absent from our diets. The average American gets about a tenth of a serving of green leafy vegetables a week.

I typically grow a lot of greens in the garden, particularly purslane, which is really loaded with Omega 3s. Looks like I need to keep up the trend.

1 comment:

  1. For a long time I have thought that our bodies tell us what we need (example, women craving chocolate-need I say more), and that usually coincides with what would be available (if it weren't for the supermarkets)from our gardens. I think it is also way too convenient (thank you Mother Nature) that we can keep a general supply of what we need either growing fresh all year or easily preserved.
    Now you have got me thinking, and I try to only do that on the weekends ;-)

    ReplyDelete